Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lullabies - Another Memory Found


I found yet another fond memory of my childhood as I was going through my mother's things - a lullaby. The dictionary defines a lullaby as a slow, quiet song sung to children to make them go to sleep.

All my life, this song has been in my head and I knew my mother must have sung it to me. So one day when I was visiting her after she moved down here (which was about five years ago), I sang the lyrics to her and asked her if she sang that song to me. She said she did. I asked her if she remembered who sang it and where the song came from and she said she couldn't remember that.

So. . . . what did I do? I googled it and came up with ALL the lyrics. I only remember two paragraphs of the words to this song. The information I got said it was written by Patsy Cline. Probably a lot of people recorded and sang it. It's called:

That's How Much I Love You

If I had a nickel, you know what I would do

I'd spend it all on candy, and give it all to you

I'd spend it all on candy, and give it all to you

'Cause that's how much I love you, baby That's how much I love you.

If you were a horsefly, and me an old grey mare

I'd stand and let you bite me, and wouldn't move a hair

I'd stand and let you bite me, and wouldn't move a hair

'Cause that's how much I love you, baby That's how much I love you.

Now I need to find it on uTube and see how many versions I can find to listen to!

I have sung it to Paige in the past but I need to remember to keep singing it to her and pass it along.

No comments:

Post a Comment